The Modern Homesteading Podcast, Episode 90 – June 11, 2018 – What Is Homesteading?
In this podcast episode we will dive into what homesteading is and what it means to pursue a life of self sufficiency and sustainability.
Question For Today’s Podcast Episode:
Theresa asks: Do you have a book that you might suggest on foraging for herbs and weeds that would have photographic and written descriptions? We are fairly new to homesteading and I am interested in learning about harvesting for both edible and medicinal purposes.
Also, what do you consider “homesteading”? My husband and I moved out of Texas to Kansas in 2013, and over the last 5 years have remodeled and moved to my husbands “grandmas” house. We both still have full time jobs, but would like to have the ability to be self sufficient. But that’s pretty scary.
Definition of Homesteading?
Homesteading is a lifestyle of the pursuit of self-sufficiency and sustainability. It is often characterized by subsistence agriculture, livestock production, home preservation of foodstuffs, and it may or may not also involve other tasks such as; the small scale production of textiles, clothing, and craftwork for household use or sale. Modern homesteaders often use renewable energy options including solar electricity and wind power. Many also choose to plant and grow heirloom vegetables and to raise heritage livestock. Homesteading is not necessarily defined by where someone lives, such as the city or the country, but rather by the lifestyle choices they make.
- What it means to pursue self-sufficiency.
- What it means to pursue sustainability.
- What practices can connect you to self-sufficiency and sustainability that would lead to homesteading.
- Homesteading with full time jobs.
Books on foraging:
- The Forager’s Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants by Samuel Thayer – https://amzn.to/2M89DtY
- Nature’s Garden: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Wild Edible Plants by Samuel Thayer – https://amzn.to/2sRchLs
The Homestead Life:
A segment where each episode I share something that’s better in my life because of homesteading.
Something I do now that I never did before I started homesteading was go on foraging hikes. This is something that is really enjoyable to me, I always enjoyed spending time hiking through woods but now it holds even more purpose for me because I’m supplying food for my family and even my animals. Right now it has been mulberries, stinging nettle and I’ve already noticed some raspberries coming on. At other times it will be other things like mushrooms or nuts or a variety of other things. I love spending time in the woods and when I can do it while harvesting for the homestead it’s a win/win.
Submit A Question For The Podcast
You can send your questions to email@example.com – or – Call or Text in your questions to our Voicemail at 765-203-1949. Submit questions as often as you like.
This Podcast Made Possible By:
Those Who Join Our Homestead Forum Membership Community.
Learn More about the Benefits of Membership at https://thehomesteadforum.com
Show Notes For This Episode Can Be Found At:
Latest posts by Harold (see all)
- Homesteading and Chicken Chat With Guest Alyssa Olson - March 17, 2019
- Heating Your Home With Firewood With Guest Kerry Brown - March 2, 2019
- Recommended Item Of The Week: LaMotte Garden Soil Test Kit - February 20, 2019