The Modern Homesteading Podcast, Episode 123 – May 29, 2019 – Spring 2019 State Of The Homestead
On this podcast episode I chat all about the progress and plans as well as the successes and failures at our little Small Town Homestead. I will also go beyond the homestead and talk about the Modern Homesteading Podcast and the Homestead Front Porch Facebook Group and the Membership Community.
- Soil preparation has gone well.
- What I have planted (or will be planting) this year. A walk around the property at each bed (or future bed).
- Trees and Berries.
- Too much rain has caused me some issues.
- Way behind on getting some trellises built and some beds built and planted.
- Kitchen compost
- Larger compost system, New lawn mower with bagger is beneficial.
- Rabbit (breeding production, issues I’ve had, expansion)
- Quail (incubation, brooders, expansion)
- Fish (tilapia update)
- Not much left in the pantry as far as canned goods from last year. Some beans, beats, and pickles.
- Update on the Big Berkey water filtration system.
- My review and personal experience with the Carey Electric Pressure Canner.
- Always improving our cooking from scratch knowledge and skills
- Continuing to learn more and practice with herbal remedies.
- Continuing to make many of our household cleaners.
Overall Progress Toward Self Sufficiency, Sustainability, Freedom and A Healthier Lifestyle
- 2 steps forward 1 step back
- Always moving a little closer to being debt free.
- Switching to electric cordless or manually operated.
- Overall health seems good.
- Updated 1 vehicle
State of The Podcast:
- Surpassed One Million downloads a few weeks ago as best as I can tell.
- Averaging about 2000 more listeners a week than last year, which means we are growing.
- I will continue to do interviews, add and drop segments as I see fit and do occasional solo shows that cover topics and information like this.
- Having a lot more fun with it this year!
The Homestead Front Porch Facebook Group
- Went over 22,000 members a few weeks ago.
- Added “Units” to the group where you can introduce yourself, find links to join our newsletter, subscribe to the podcast and join our Membership Community which supports everything I’m doing. You can also find a directory there of all the podcast episodes.
- Added a free Mentorship Program to the group.
- Continues to be an awesome community!
The Membership Community
- Continues to grow slowly.
- Adding content weekly.
- It’s mainly how I pay the bills for the website and podcast.
- I appreciate every member I have or have had as they are or have done a lot to keep this thing moving forward.
- Thank You!!!
Homestead Recipe Of The Week:
This week’s recipe comes in from Katie for Homemade Cheese Crackers.
Send In Your Favorite Homestead Recipe:
If you would like to send in an audio recording of some of your favorite homestead recipes I would love to add one each week to the podcast.
Here is how you might do that. Most cell phones usually have a recording app installed that you could use.
Example Format might be:
This is (name) from (website or Facebook page or homestead name) and a recipe I like and want to share with you today is …
Try and keep the recording between 1 to 5 minutes and it doesn’t have to be perfect.
When you’re done recording and satisfied with how it sounds just email it to me at email@example.com and I will add it to a future episode.
If you have a website or Facebook page for your homestead I will also add a link in the shownotes.
Submit A Question For The Podcast
You can send your questions by Calling or Texting in your questions to our Voicemail at 765-203-1949. Submit questions as often as you like.
This Podcast Made Possible By:
- Those Who Join Our Homestead Forum Membership Community. Learn More about the Benefits of Membership by Clicking Become A Member.
- Those who shop through Amazon using our affiliate link.
- Those who share this podcast with others.
- Companies and individuals who partner with us for advertising, sponsorship and support through our membership.
Show Notes For This Episode Can Be Found At:
What Are Folks Saying About The Modern Homesteading Podcast?
Been listening to you for years now, Harold. Love hearing about you and your family and all the wonderful things you've been doing on your homestead. God bless.
This is one of my favorite podcasts! I look forward to getting each new episode and really appreciate the balance it has between inspiration and practical advice. The topics cover such a wide range of homesteading areas that there is something for everyone - no matter where you are in your homesteading journey.
My favorite podcast!
I listen to a lot of podcasts but when this one pops up in my player with a new episode I listen right away, I never miss an episode! Keep up the great work!
Harold has a wealth of knowledge and experiences