For the first couple years of growing a garden I didn’t use heated seed mats, I started all of my seeds indoors on the kitchen table (despite my wife’s displeasure with this) in front of a south facing window. It seemed like it would take forever for the seeds to germinate and grow to the point of hardening off and preparing for being transplanted into the garden.
Then I purchased a couple seed mats and I couldn’t believe the difference it made. Everything germinated and grew much quicker. I now use them in my greenhouse to start seeds and grow microgreens all winter long. These things are pretty awesome to have!
The ones I have are the VIVOHOME Waterproof Seedling Heat Mats and they are the 10 Inch x 20.75 Inch which fits perfectly under my seedling trays.
Here is a little about these particular seedling heat mats:
- Faster germination, higher success rates, and faster growth for quicker transplanting and higher yield.
- Automatically warms rooting area 10-20 F over ambient temperature; can be used indoors or in a greenhouse, providing enough heat to get your garden established and healthy.
- Helpful Instructions and growing tips are printed on the mat, so you will never lose the instructions.
- Just place the heat mat on a flat, dry surface under a seedling tray and plug the cord into a standard 120V outlet to begin heating.
- Product dimensions: 10″x 20.75″, Watt: 18W, Power cords length: 5.7 ft
I have had them a couple years and there still working great so I feel like I can recommend them even though I read a couple negative reviews at Amazon about there durability. I am about to order a couple more to expand the microgreen production and get ready for a lot of seed starting in the Spring.
I can honestly say that these VIVOHOME Waterproof Seedling Heat Mats are making all the difference in my homestead garden and greenhouse production.
Latest posts by Harold
- Grow Mushrooms Where You Can’t Grow Anything Else - May 19, 2019
- Homesteading and Market Gardening With Guest Jason Smith - May 12, 2019
- Gardening In A Hoophouse With Guest Pam Dawling - April 28, 2019