The Modern Homesteading Podcast, Episode 85 – May 25, 2018 – Protecting Plants In The Heat of Summer.
Question For Today’s Podcast Episode:
Randy Asks – What are some strategies for protecting veggie plants in heat of summer? We have a lot of 95+ degree days here and it would be nice to hear some new strategies of keeping plants shaded/cooler to improve production.
- What problems can occur from heat stressed plants – withering from excessive sun and lack of water, lack of production due to blooms falling off, bolting; plant is in survival mode.
- Heat tolerant varieties
- Cover crops
- Other ground cover methods
- Alternatives to traditional growing in harsh climates – hydroponics, auquaponics and wicking beds.
- Learn Organic Gardening at GrowingYourGreens – https://www.youtube.com/user/growingyourgreens
The Homestead Life:
A segment where each episode I share something that’s better in my life because of homesteading.
This week I’ve been eating a lot of lettuce and tons of strawberries from the garden and I’ve really been enjoying the peace of mind I have about my family eating things that are safe for us to eat. There was a recent scare about Romaine lettuce being sold having E. Coli and of course conventionally grown strawberries are some of worst for retaining pesticide residues even after being washed.
I watch my grandson occasionally grab a strawberry straight from the patch and eat it as I did with fruits and veggies all my life without washing them first and guess what, I don’t freak out or panic. I would prefer they be washed for obvious reasons but I know there is nothing dangerous on my fruit and vegetables.
This is something better in my life because of the homesteading life.
Submit A Question For The Podcast
You can send your questions to email@example.com – or – Call or Text in your questions to our Voicemail at 765-203-1949. Submit questions as often as you like.
This Podcast Made Possible By:
- Those Who Join Our Homestead Forum Membership Community. Learn More at https://thehomesteadforum.com
- Those Who Encourage Us By Leaving An iTunes Review or Sharing This Podcast
Show Notes For This Episode Can Be Found At:
Latest posts by Harold (see all)
- Recommended Item Of The Week: LaMotte Garden Soil Test Kit - February 20, 2019
- All The Dirt On Living The Good Life With Guest Kirsten Lie-Nielsen - February 18, 2019
- How To Plant Trees On Your Homestead - February 13, 2019