This is what it’s all about folks! Every Spring I can’t wait to get into the woods and find a mess of morel mushrooms. There are many different ways to prepare them but my favorite way is to pan fry and eat, it doesn’t get any easier than that. Enjoy.
- 1/2 pound morel mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (more if needed)
- In a large bowl add all morel mushrooms. Cover with warm water and add in 1 tablespoon kosher salt. Mix together to incorporate salt.
- Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours but up to 12 hours. I usually let mine sit in the fridge overnight. When you pull the mushrooms out of the fridge do not be surprised if you find little dead bugs floats in the water. This is normal. They like to hide in the little crevices of the mushroom cap.
- Drain the mushrooms, rinse and cut in half. If you notice any dirt in the inside of of the mushrooms just wipe away with a damp paper towel.
- In a bowl add flour, kosher salt, ground pepper and garlic powder. Gently toss coat mushrooms in flour and set aside until all mushrooms are coated.
- In a large skillet add butter and melt over medium heat. Once hot add in mushrooms, making sure to not crowd the pan. Cook for about 7 minutes per side. The bottom should be browned before flipping. Once fully cooked add to a paper towel lined plate to drain off excess oil.
- Continue with remaining mushrooms until all are cooked. Add in more butter to the pan if needed.
- Serve warm.
Foraging is a great way to gather food for the homestead but remember to not eat anything you’re not sure about. Do your research or find an experienced and knowledgeable forager to show you the ropes if you need to.
Latest posts by Harold (see all)
- Recommended Item Of The Week: LaMotte Garden Soil Test Kit - February 20, 2019
- All The Dirt On Living The Good Life With Guest Kirsten Lie-Nielsen - February 18, 2019
- How To Plant Trees On Your Homestead - February 13, 2019