On this podcast episode I respond to some negative feedback by telling you 10 things I don’t really want you to know about me in order to take myself off a pedestal some have put me on and help you realize you can homestead and make a difference in the world.
- I started making Kombucha and don’t know if I’m going to like it.
- Time to start prepping the greenhouse for seed starting.
- Still battling mice and ear mites…ugh!
- A few hiccups with the launch of the Membership Community but all is well now… I think.
Main Topic Of Discussion:
I recently did a Facebook Live Video in our Facebook Group about how you have time to homestead even if you think you don’t and I received some negative feedback from that video. I used myself as an example of someone with very little time and yet am able to grow a lot of my own food as well as perform many other homesteading tasks.
Anonymous wrote: “You shouldn’t try to make us feel bad because we aren’t homesteading yet! Some of us don’t have it all together yet and aren’t in a position making it possible for us to do the things we want to do. Some of us aren’t like you, we don’t know everything we need to know yet, some of us have debt, some of us have health issues and other problems that make it hard to do. You should think about that before you come on here and try to guilt trip us into homesteading when we aren’t at that point in our life yet.”
To that I say, You Completely Misunderstood Me! and I’m sorry that I wasn’t more clear.
Having said that, my main point of that video still stands. If it’s important to you you’ll find the time, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.
I want to first address your misconceptions of who I am. You referred to me as someone who has it all together, someone who knows everything they need to know, someone who doesn’t have health or other problems, someone who is able to able to homestead as opposed to someone with these situations who isn’t able.
Let me tell you 10 things about myself that I really don’t want you to know.
- I’m an extreme introvert.
- I have debt.
- I don’t know everything about homesteading, not even close.
- I suffer from imposter syndrome.
- I get easily depressed, seasonal affective disorder.
- I’m fairly self focused.
- Take action too quickly resulting in high failure rate.
- Huge mistakes as a dad.
- I don’t always eat in a very healthy way.
- I get easily grossed out.
Why do I tell you all these things about myself and what does it have to do with homesteading?
Reason 1. I don’t want you to look at me as someone more capable of homesteading than you.
Reason 2. I want you to know who you are listening to and decide if i’m someone you want to listen to without any misconceptions or deception. I just want you to know I may not be everything you think I am.
Reason 3. I want you to fulfil your homesteading dreams but more than that I want you to realize you can overcome anything and make a difference in the world and be remembered for something bigger than yourself.
The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level by Gay Hendricks PhD
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen R. Covey
This Podcast Made Possible By:
- Those Who Join Our Homestead Forum Membership Community
- Those Who Shop Amazon Through Our Affiliate Link – http://amzn.to/24DP0J1
- Those Who Encourage Us By Leaving An iTunes Review or Sharing This Podcast
Show Notes For This Episode Can Be Found At:
Latest posts by Harold (see all)
- Homesteading and Chicken Chat With Guest Alyssa Olson - March 17, 2019
- Heating Your Home With Firewood With Guest Kerry Brown - March 2, 2019
- Recommended Item Of The Week: LaMotte Garden Soil Test Kit - February 20, 2019