On today’s podcast episode I will be giving my thoughts on some questions from you, the listeners. I will be answering questions today on seed starting, how and when to add finished compost to a garden, I’ll give my thoughts on health insurance for the self employed, tanning rabbit hides, software I use to do my “techy stuff” and what life looks like a little further along in the homesteading journey. If you want to ask a questions for a future Q & A episode send your question to firstname.lastname@example.org or call it in and leave a voicemail message to 765-203-1949.
Helen asks – I’d love to hear your seed starting tips. I’ll be starting to sow seed for this season in mid February so it’s coming up fast! My soil is heavy clay and our season is relatively short so I prefer to start seeds in trays, pots even guttering. What are your favourite methods or does it depend on the crop?
- Seedling Starter Trays, 144 Cells: (24 Trays; 6-cells Per Tray)
- Espoma 16-Quart Organic Seed Starter Premium Potting Mix
- Plant Greenhouse on Wheels with Clear Cover – 4 Tiers Rack Stands
- Find Your Average Last Frost Date
Danny asks – I have some finished compost ready to be added to the garden. I’ve read lots of articles on making compost. I’ve read lots of articles on finishing compost. I’ve never had anyone write an article on when to add compost. So when and how do you add compost to a raised bed garden?
— Small Town Homestead (@sthomestead) January 29, 2017
Lori asks – I’m curious about what your thoughts are on health insurance for a family with kids that is self employed – I’ve listened to many of your podcasts recently that deal with income generating ideas for self employment but that side of it was untouched. I have done some research on the matter, but am always interested in hearing more first hand experiences with this side of self employment.
Jessie asks – Have you ever done any hide tanning with your rabbits’ pelts? If so, can you give us some tips?
Amy asks – I want to start sharing our homesteading experiences like you do. Would you mind sharing what software you use for the techy stuff like blogging, Youtube videos, podcasting, and picture editing.
- Image Creation – Canva
- Audio Editing – Audacity
- Website Hosting – Bluehost with WordPress Platform
- Video Creation – OBS Studio
Aaron Asks – Give us a picture of what it looks like further along the homestead journey.
Find The Shownotes For This Episode At http://smalltownhomestead.com/54
Latest posts by Harold (see all)
- 7 DIY Homestead Building Projects Worth Doing - March 26, 2017
- Thoughts On Hugelkultur, Food Forests, Aquaponics and Other Popular Food Growing Methods - March 19, 2017
- Passing On A Homesteading Legacy and Getting Started Homesteading Without Land - February 26, 2017