On today’s podcast i’m joined by Mike Hatfield of Flyway Family Farm in southern Illinois. Mike along with his wife and young daughter have a 9 1/2 acre homestead where they do a little bit of everything but their main crop is mushrooms. Mike shares with us a little bit about how he and his wife got into homesteading and how they eventually ended up focusing on mushrooms as their cash crop.
Mike and I discuss a variety of topics like.
- The process of growing mushrooms indoors and outdoors.
- The business of selling mushrooms at Farmers Markets and through a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture).
- The medicinal benefits of mushrooms.
- The possible environmental benefits of growing mushrooms.
- How to get started growing mushrooms on your homestead.
- Mike’s Facebook Page – www.facebook.com/FlywayFamilyFarmMushrooms
- Ted Talk Mike Mentioned – www.ted.com/talks/paul_stamets_on_6_ways_mushrooms_can_save_the_world
Where to get started growing mushrooms on your homestead.
“Mushrooms are miniature pharmaceutical factories, and of the thousands of mushroom species in nature, our ancestors and modern scientists have identified several dozen that have a unique combination of talents that improve our health.” – Paul Stamets
Latest posts by Harold (see all)
- All About Comfrey On The Homestead - May 21, 2017
- 21 Ideas To Help You Grow A Lot Of Food On A Small Homestead - April 23, 2017
- Healthy Spring Cleaning Tips For Your Homestead - April 9, 2017