On today’s podcast episode I have a conversation with Steve Dinicol, a homesteader on 133 acres in British Columbia Canada. Steve and his wife work full time jobs and still manage to operate and expand their homestead although expand too quickly at times as Steve will confess.
Steve and I discuss:
- What led him down the homesteading path
- Raising cattle
- Raising sheep
- Raising chickens for eggs and meat
- Animal processing
- Deer hunting
- Gardening in a northern climate
- Foraging for mushrooms
- His newly planted fruit tree orchard and berry bushes
- Perennial vegetables
- Future plans for their homestead like bees, goats, rabbits, and chicken expansion
- Advice for beginner homesteaders
Resources and Links from today’s episode:
- Anyone Can Build a Tub-Style Mechanical Chicken Plucker – Paperback by Herrick Kimball
- Growing Mushrooms – Mike Hatfield from Flyway Family Farm
- Raising Rabbits: Colony or Cages?
- Join the Homestead Front Porch Facebook Group
- Article I mentioned – WHAT DOES IT FEEL LIKE TO KILL A CHICKEN?
Find The Shownotes For This Episode At http://smalltownhomestead.com/43